Doctorate in Mathematics
The Department offers a doctoral program in Mathematics (PhD). A wide variety of advanced courses are offered in pure and applied mathematics. The large number of scientific activities in Montréal and the quality of courses makes our programs among the best in North America.
In general, a Master's degree in mathematics or a related field is required to apply for admission to the doctoral program in mathematics. However, it is possible to pass directly to the PhD program from the undergraduate or master's program without writing a memoire.
- Fall and winter admission
- Limited enrolment
- Daytime classes
- Includes 12 course credits, 78 credits for research and dissertation
- Usually completed over 4 academic years
- Possibility of admission without a Master
Questions about this program?
Robert Gwyn Owens (Program supervisor) : Tél. : 514 343-2315
Marie Lyne Martel (TGDE): Tel.: 514 343-6686
The + of studying mathematics at the Université de Montréal!
- Our faculty includes 3 Canada Research Chairs in the fields of number theory, differential geometry and topology, and geometry and spectral theory, as well as prominent figures in other, more applied fields such as mathematical physics, optimization and fluid mechanics.
- An especially rich scientific milieu thanks to the presence in the same building of the Centre de recherches mathématiques, an international hub that organizes theme years, offers a lecture series and hosts a wide variety of visitors and postdoctoral fellows.
- The Séminaire de mathématiques supérieures, an annual summer school, and mathematics seminars given by graduate students, for students.
- Financial support may be available from the Department, the Université de Montréal or various federal and provincial organizations (NSERC, FQRNT, etc.).
- An exciting research setting with more than one hundred experienced researchers.
- Access to a variety of specialized software, including Mathematica, MATLAB, Maple, Sage, GNU Octave, Maxima, and more.
- According to British firm QS, UdeM ranks among the top 100 universities in the world in mathematics.
- The Université de Montréal occupies the 32nd world rank in statistics and operational research in the 2019 rankings of QS.