- Fall and winter admission
- Limited enrolment
- Daytime classes
- Full-time and part-time
- With thesis: 45, including 27 for research and writing
- Without thesis: 45, including 21 for internship/supervised project
- An undergraduate average of at least 3.0 out of 4.3 is required for admission to the program
- Option of switching to a doctorate after 1 year
Master’s in Statistics
The Master’s in Statistics (MSc) provides students with a solid grounding in statistics. It also offers an introduction to research for students planning to continue their studies at the doctoral level, in addition to preparing students for careers as statisticians in the private or public sector.
The program is designed to broaden students’ knowledge in the areas of theory, methodology and statistical consulting. The thesis option allows students to specialize in a particular field of research, while the internship or supervised project option emphasizes the study and application of the latest statistical methods used in different scientific disciplines.
The thesis involves a contribution to statistical research (not necessarily a major one). The internship usually involves 4 months in industry or a research centre. The research work for a thesis or supervised project is done under the supervision of a professor, who is usually chosen before the end of the first term or ideally at the very start of the program. You can consult the list of professors for an idea of their areas of expertise. The internship is also supervised by one of the Department’s professors. Students learn statistical consulting in co-operation with the Service de Consultation Statistique (SCS).
Questions about this program?
Josie-Anne Huard (TGDE): Tel.: 514 343-6686
- All about this program
- Other important information
- Financial support
- Find a thesis supervisor
The + of studying mathematics at the Université de Montréal!
- An especially rich scientific milieu thanks to the presence in the same building of the Centre de recherches mathématiques, an international hub that organizes theme years, offers a lecture series and hosts a wide variety of visitors and postdoctoral fellows.
- The option of switching to a doctorate after just 1 year in the Master’s program, for top students.
- Financial support may be available from the Department, the Université de Montréal or various federal and provincial organizations (NSERC, FQRNT, etc.).
- An exciting research setting with more than one hundred experienced researchers.
- Access to the largest number of statisticians in a single university department in Quebec.
- Access to a variety of specialized software, including SAS, S-PLUS, SPSS, Stata, R, Mathematica, MATLAB, Maple, and more.