- Fall and winter admission
- Limited enrolment
- Daytime classes
- Full-time and part-time
- With thesis: 45, including 27 for research and writing
- Without thesis: 45, including 21 for an internship
- An undergraduate average of at least 3.0 out of 4.3 is required for admission to the program
- Option of switching to a doctorate after 1 year
Master's in Mathematics
There are 4 Master's in Mathematics (MSc) options:
The Actuarial Science option is a program devoted to actuarial mathematics. It offers a grounding in research for students planning to continue their studies at the doctoral level, in addition to preparing students for careers as mathematicians or actuaries.
The Pure Mathematics option offers further training in fundamental mathematics and an introduction to research. It prepares students to continue to the doctoral level or for a career in college-level teaching or as a mathematician.
The Applied Mathematics option builds on knowledge acquired at the undergraduate level. It also offers an introduction to research for students planning to continue to the doctoral level, in this discipline or in such related applied fields as engineering, physics, computer science and economics. This option can also lead to careers in college-level teaching or as mathematicians.
The Industrial Mathematics option complements training in applied mathematics. It introduces students to research to prepare them for careers as mathematicians. This option includes an industry internship.
Questions about this program?
Robert G. Owens (Program supervisor): Tel.: 514 343-2315
Nadia Lefebvre-Beauséjour (TGDE): Tel.: 514 343-6111, ext. 1695
- All about this program
- Other important information
- Financial support
- Find a thesis supervisor
The + of studying mathematics at the Université de Montréal!
- Our faculty includes 3 Canada Research Chairs in the fields of number theory, differential geometry and topology, and geometry and spectral theory, as well as prominent figures in other, more applied fields such as mathematical physics, optimization and fluid mechanics.
- An especially rich scientific milieu thanks to the presence in the same building of the Centre de recherches mathématiques, an international hub that organizes theme years, offers a lecture series and hosts a wide variety of visitors and postdoctoral fellows.
- The Séminaire de mathématiques supérieures, an annual summer school, and mathematics seminars given by graduate students, for students.
- Financial support may be available from the Department, the Université de Montréal or various federal and provincial organizations (NSERC, FQRNT, etc.).
- An exciting research setting with more than one hundred experienced researchers.
- Access to a variety of specialized software, including Mathematica, MATLAB, Maple, Sage, GNU Octave, Maxima, and more.
- According to British firm QS, UdeM ranks among the top 100 universities in the world in mathematics.